The Historical Commission is currently is need of three more members. To volunteer, please send a letter of interest to the Board of Selectmen's Office: 122 Main Street Acushnet MA 02743.
The Long Plain Museum located on Main Street
Historical preservation and education
Among the primary activities of the Commission are:
Researching historical homes and other buildings in Acushnet, and providing plaques, where appropriate. Organizing and maintaining the records of historical buildings and sites into a permanent inventory
Installing markers, such as those at Howard's Neck and Peak Rock, highlighting points of historical interest
Supervising the Town's two principal historical treasures, the Long Plain Museum at 1203 Main Street and the Long Plain Friends Meetinghouse and Quaker Museum, at 1341 Main Street. Both these attractions are located in the far north of the Town in what was once the rural village of Long Plain.
The Long Plain Museum, in the former Long Plain Schoolhouse (1875), is operated under the Commission by the Acushnet Historical Society, a private, non-profit organization. The Meetinghouse (1759), the oldest Friends (Quaker) house of worship in the SouthCoast is the only building in Acushnet listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is no longer used for religious purposes.
The Long Plain Museum is open on certain Sunday's with different programs. The Long Plain Meetinghouse is open for visitors Sunday afternoons during the summer 1:00 to 3:00 p.m.
The Long Plain Museum is a fascinating local history museum, with many interesting features: a life-size diorama depicting a blacksmith shop that was once located across the street, a 'Whaling Wall' of portraits of Acushnet whaling captains and their homes, an 1875 school room kept just as it looked over 125 years ago, a room of 19th Century fashions, and a 4-room apartment with authentic 19th century furniture and utensils.
The Meetinghouse, situated in a leafy 2.7 acre park, also has the help of a private, non-profit organization called the Friends of the Friends Meetinghouse, who among other activities, have organized the popular "Music at the Meetinghouse" series of free summer concerts. Attractions include a small Quaker Museum, a burial ground dating to the early 18th century and a dressed stone wall encircling the entire property.